More Interview Questions and Answers
What makes for a successful team?
Alternative and related questions:
What would be your ideal team?
The meaning behind the question:
Your perception of what makes for a successful team will be a factor of what you see as being a successful working manner and also how you perceive your ideal team to be. Your answer will therefore give the interviewer a lot of useful information as to both your capabilities and your compatibility. It'll give them insight into what kind of a team player you are.
This isn't the easiest of questions to answer by any means. But, given that you can prepare a neat little answer well in advance, it shouldn't be one of the most difficult either.
Teamwork is essential in the vast majority of working environments. It requires four core abilities:
- The ability to communicate effectively with others
- The ability to recognize and understand the viewpoints of others
- The ability to appreciate the contribution you are expected to make
- The ability to build strong interpersonal relationships
A successful team player will possess all of these qualities and a successful team is clearly comprised of successful team players.
Show the interviewer that you understand these key teamwork factors.
For me, what really makes for a successful team is clearly the people within that team. Communication is obviously key. Teamwork requires you to communicate effectively with others, recognizing and understanding their viewpoints and appreciating the contribution you are expected to make. Communication is essential to good working relationships where each individual is working towards the achievement of shared aims and objectives. Trust is also a key factor to ensuring the success of working relationships, as is respect. If the team members trust and respect each other then they'll inevitably work well together towards their common goals.
The Interview Question & Answer Book
More interview questions and answers
Talking about your current employment
- Can you tell me what you enjoy about your current job?
- What will you remember most about your last job?
- Is this the first time you have made an effort to move away from your current employers?
- How do you feel about the possibility of leaving your current job?
- How would you describe your current employer?
Talking about this vacancy
- Wouldn’t you be better suited to working in a larger/smaller organization?
- How do you feel this vacancy differs from your current role?
- What reservations do you have about your ability to undertake this job?
- Can you describe your ideal working environment to me?
- How do you feel we compare to our competitors?
- What would you say is our Unique Selling Point?
- What would be your analysis of the current trends in our industry/sector?
Understanding your career path, plans and ambitions
- What aspects of your career path would you like to have been different?
- What are your greatest regrets about the path your career has taken?
- What has been the greatest challenge you have faced in your career to date?
- What do you think are your main career options for the next five years?
- What exactly does the word ‘success’ mean to you?
Addressing problems in your career history
- Why did you only stay with this organization for such a short time?
- Why did you stay with this organization for such a long time?
Coping with stress and pressure
- Are you able to multitask?
- Can you juggle a number of different projects simultaneously?
- How do you handle rejection/disappointment/failure?
- How do you deal with interpersonal conflict?
- What does tact and diplomacy mean to you?
- What makes for a successful team?
Management and leadership
- Would you describe yourself as a good manager?
- Do you really think you’re management material?
- What is your attitude to delegation?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you had to lead from the front?
- Have you ever had to fire or lay off a member of your staff?
- How would you describe your ideal team member?
Personal and professional development
- In what ways do you intend to improve upon your performance?
- How has your current job prepared you for greater challenges/responsibility?
Interests and activities
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- What newspaper do you take?
- Are you interested in current affairs?
The amateur psychiatrist
- If you won the lottery what would you do?
- Can you tell me about the best teacher you ever had?
- If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
- What are you most afraid of?
Money, money, money
- Why aren’t you earning more?
- How much do you think you are really worth?
- How much does money matter to you?
- Would you still be interested in this job if you current employer offered a pay rise?
- Have you ever had to take a pay cut to keep your job?
- Have you ever asked for but been refused a pay rise?
Author: James Innes